Herbal medicine is the use of plants for medicine. Using plants for healing is one of the oldest forms of medicine and traditional herbal medicine was once the primary medical system in many countries.
Today, the Western medical model, allows Herbalists to follow the latest up-to-date evidence of herbs. Modern Herbal Medicine emphasises the effects of herbs on individual body systems. Different herbs act on different systems of the body and give support to recover and restore.
For example, herbs may be used for their anti-inflammatory, adaptogenic, expectorant, antispasmodic, galactagogue, tonic or immune enhancing properties.
Using Plants as Medicine
Herbal medicine works to return the body to a state of natural balance and can be effective for many acute conditions, including:
- Common cold and flu, fever
- Cough and bronchitis
- Reflux, colic, sinus and hay fever
- Recurring infections, illnesses and disease
- Promote breastfeeding and increase breast milk production
- Gastro-intestinal complaints: constipation, diarrhoea or nausea
- Disturbed sleep
- Skin conditions: nappy rash, wounds, insect bites and burns
- Intestinal worms
Herbal Medicine can also help chronic conditions such as:
- Skin conditions, eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, acne, rashes, itchy, dry and inflamed skin
- Irritable bowel syndrome, bloating, diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence and poor digestion
- Gastro-intestinal disorders, symptoms and gut health
- Women’s health: balancing healthy hormones, PMS, irregular periods and cravings, fertility, supporting pregnancy and postpartum and menopause
- Endometriosis and thyroid conditions
- Headaches and migraines
- Auto-immune disease such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s, coeliac and Crohn’s disease
- Arthritis, Fibromyalgia and chronic pain conditions
- Fatigue, sleep disturbances, low energy, foggy memory and poor concentration
- Anxiety and depression
- Men’s health
- Children’s health including autism (ASD), ADD, ADHD
- Cardiovascular disease and high blood pressure
- Support for cancer management
What to Expect When Consulting a Herbalist?
As a Qualified Medical Herbalist, I take a comprehensive review of your health history, discuss your health concerns and perform a physical examination.
A comprehensive consultation includes:
- a detailed case history;
- current medications and supplements;
- recent pathology testing you have had;
- individually prescribed and dispensed herbal medicines;
- clear dosage instructions;
- nutrition advice and lifestyle recommendations
Combining different herbs to make an individualised formula is incredibly effective. I structure the formula to address both the underlying cause of the disease as well as to relieve your symptoms.
How Long Does Herbal Medicine Take to Work?
This depends on the individual and their condition of health.
Some improvement in symptoms should be noted within hours to a day for acute complaints such as a cold or the flu, or within 4-6 weeks for chronic complaints.
Herbal medicine can be highly effective for chronic health conditions and an improvement can be noted within 4-6 weeks for chronic complaints.
Is Herbal Medicine Safe?
Herbal medicine is safe and effective when prescribed by a fully qualified herbal practitioner.
If you would like to know more about the use of plants for healing, please feel free to ask me! I would love to see you in the Gold Coast Naturopath Clinic or alternatively, no matter where you are, I can offer consultations by Skype or Phone consultations and provide individual herbal formulas, nutritional supplementation and pathology testing advice.
Booking is simple & easy! For individual herbal medicine consults Book ⇒ HERE ⇐
I look forward to welcoming you to the clinic soon!
Kristy | Aussie Naturopath